Who amongst us has not rehearsed that special speech in case someday we were to win an Oscar or a Filmfare award? Repeating those familiar lines, sworn to memory, in front of any mirror that will listen. Grasping on dearly to a hairbrush or bottle of deodorant. Thanking the jury, dabbing away the fake tears, mentioning family, friends and neighbours. Yeah, that speech! Who among us has not given it a go?
The Mahindra Group and Teamwork Arts give you just that chance. Well not you really but that you, had you been part of a superior theatre production this year.
Welcome to the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards, in their 12th year of celebrating, ‘All things Stage!’ Welcome to META!
META recognizes the dedication, passion, blood, sweat and hard work that goes behind staging any single play. They do well to acknowledge all areas of stagecraft. The thirteen categories comprise awards for ‘Best Actor’, ‘Best Director’, ‘Best Actors in Supporting Roles’ ‘Best Ensemble Performance’, ‘Best Choreography’ among others.
The good folks at META aim to provide a platform of national acclaim, an equal battleground where plays of reputed production houses and plays from younger groups are held to the same light. META has successfully hosted performances that shed light over varied & relevant social issues, while maintaining their well-established reach over the masses by ensuring that no two productions shortlisted are anything alike.
The Shortlist 2017
META receives thousands of applications every year, and our sympathies to the panel that has to decide the shortlisted productions! The plays selected this year will be performed between 4th and 9th of March, 2017, at Kamani Auditorium, Sri Ram Centre, and Little Theatre Group Auditorium.
The shortlisted productions are:
- Lassanwala directed by Hemant Pandey (6:00 PM, 4th March, 2017)
- Bhima directed by Anitha Santhanam (6:00 PM, 5th March, 2017)
- Elephant in the Room directed by Yuki Ellias (6:00 PM, 6th March, 2017)
- Outcaste directed by Randhir Kumar (8:00 PM, 6th March, 2017)
- Kaali Naadakam directed by Chandradasan (6:00 PM, 7th March, 2017)
- Dhumrapaan directed by Akarsh Khurana (8:00 PM, 7th March, 2017)
- Mahabharata directed by Anurupa Roy (6:00 PM, 8th March, 2017)
- Awddyo Shesh Rajani directed by Bratya Basu (8:00 PM, 8th March, 2017)
- Katha Sukavi Suryamal Ki directed by Rajendra Panchal (6:00 PM, 9th March, 2017)
- I Don’t Like It, As You Like It directed by Rajat Kapoor (8:00 PM, 9th March, 2017)
The META has been judged by panels of distinguished and prolific theatre personalities over the years. Legends like M.S. Sathyu, Seema Biswas, Nayantara Sahgal, Sushma Seth, Vinay Pathak, Nadira Babbar, and Arundhati Nag, to name a handful.
Previous winners have included illustrious stalwarts like Girish Karnad, for the play Bikhre Bimb, Mohit Takalkar’s Mein Huun Yusuf aur Ye Hai Mera Bhai, which swept clean multiple categories, The Company Theatre’s Piya Behrupiya which stole hearts all across the board, Oxygen Theatre Company’s Spinal Cord, and Dramanon Bangalore’s much acclaimed Akshayambara.
To be a part of this esteemed list would be an honour like no other, and to be able to watch the shortlisted plays battle it out? Oh, what a feeling! So what are you waiting for? Go grab your tickets on BookMyShow right now!
Source for all Images: Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards